It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Post subject: Pouring some cold water in the pool
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm 
Rang: Storbruker

I was having a good time in an upper class hotel-pool the other day. We are privileged and sometimes we can afford this kind of luxury. And as CPS-refugees residing in a nice climate area this is a bonus that we allow ourselves. I was with my wife, and did my laps. An elderly gentleman was splashing carefully some yards away, and showed some interest in us.

He asked: - Where do you come from?
-I come from Norway, I answered.
- Oh, Norway. - I have been to Oslo many years ago. Norwegians are terrific people. They keep to themselves and mind their own business!

I was smiling, since it is typical for the culture around here to say something nice when foreigners tell where they come from. Politeness is above all in this country. I didnt plan to respond much.

But the old man continued to praise norwegians, and I was considering what he said. Eventually I couldnt help myself but speak:

- We norwegians believe we are the best in the world, I said. - But truth told we are exactly as everybody else. Not better nor worse. There are good things and bad things in Norway, just like in your country.

The man was still smiling, but seemingly surprised about my answer.

I didnt tell him that his country had saved us, that we could let our shoulders down here, that we loved his country above all other countries (except Norway with which I have a complicated relationship), and that freedom to us was to be right here. In his country.

He obviously did not understand why I was saying what I said.

But I think he understood that we were grateful to be here.

Fact is that many years ago I was working a short period for a missionary organization in this country.

I often tell people:

- I came here the first time to save this country. Now this country has saved me!

Usually they do not know what I am talking about.

But they understand that I am serious.