It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: Removal the only help for immigrants' children in Britain?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 pm 
Superposter

Removal the only help for immigrants' children in Britain?

Destitute immigrants in UK are threatened with having children removed
‘We’ll house your children, but not you,’ scores of families are told by local authorities
the guardian, 13 June 2017

"Homeless immigrants are being told they can secure housing for their children but not themselves, effectively forcing them to break up their family or sleep rough with their children, the Guardian has learned."

“ 'In our view it’s a scare tactic to get families to disappear because they are so frightened of having their children taken into care and quite often it does work. People are so afraid of having their children taken away that they will put up with living in very substandard accommodation to avoid this perceived threat.' "

"Legal experts say separating a child from its parents in this way, if there are no safeguarding concerns, is in breach of the Children’s Act."
But social workers evidently do it regardless, and feel no compunction at splitting the children from their parents. – Some very basic facts about children's need to be with their parents seem to be lacking from the education of social workers in a lot of countries.

"Houlihan said she told the social worker she could not make those kinds of threats and asked her if she had been told to say that by managers. To which Houlihan said the social worker replied: 'Yes, I don’t agree with it, but I’ve been told to say it.' "

Post subject: Re: Removal the only help for immigrants' children in Britai
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:05 am 
Superposter

‘She was screaming': father tells of how council tried to take girl, 3, from asylum family
Father says his daughter was left traumatised after local authority threatened to remove her
the guardian, 13 June 2017

“My wife was really scared and my child was really scared. She was under the table where they were sitting, screaming: ‘I don’t want to go anywhere,’ and scratching the walls. It was so horrific that the interpreter got really upset,” he says.

" “My wife was told: ‘We have got a duty of care towards the child and it’s our responsibility now that you’ve got no roof over your head to look after her. But we have no duty towards you, so you can live anywhere you like, but we’re taking her.’ And they gave us an address to drop the child off. They said: ‘You should bring the child the next day.’” "

"Ali arrived in the UK on his daughter’s third birthday, in September 2015, and claimed asylum. He says he fled Iran after receiving death threats for his political work. His wife and daughter, Leila, came with him, though they had not been threatened."

"Jamileh’s parents convinced her that staying in Britain was too stressful and she and Leila have since returned to Iran, where they are waiting for Ali to hear the result of his asylum claim. If he is granted leave to remain, he will then have to apply to bring them over to the UK under family reunion provisions.
   “My daughter has a very bad memory of England,” says Ali. “Some English tourists were visiting a restaurant [in Iran] and she heard them and she hid under the table and started screaming: ‘No, they’re going to take me away.’ She gets asked: ‘Do you want to come and see Daddy?’ She cries: ‘No, I don’t want to go back there.’ Unfortunately she’s been scarred by this.” "