It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

Post subject: Australian tv program about Norwegian Barnevern 26.7.16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:18 pm 
Superposter

Australian tv program about Norwegian Barnevern 26 July 2016

Two days ago an Australian program of 25 minutes was shown in Australia. This is a trailer:
Norway's Stolen Children?
Dateline, date of showing 26 July 2016

Here is the full program:
SBS Dateline, on youtube, 26 July 2016

Post subject: Re: Australian tv program about Norwegian Barnevern 26.7.16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 am 
Superposter

Link to the program on SBS - Dateline:

SBS - Dataline, 26 July 2016

At the bottom of the article about the program, a section saying "Show all" brings one to a transcript of everything that is said in the program!

In connection with the program:
There are some readers' comments under the SBS article. There are also 3 "Related Links".

Dateline has also published several related articles:

Monica Fridtjofsen:
Why were my children taken away?
26 July 2016

Georgina Davies:
Could we all be accused of bad parenting?
26 July 2016

Older article:
In which countries are children happier – and why?
15 May 2015

Einar Salvesen:
Comment: The very worst that can happen with child protection
Natasha and Erik’s twins were taken away by Norway’s child protection service as soon as they were born. Now the family are fugitives in Poland, in a case that’s appalled psychologist Einar Salvesen.
SBS – Dateline, 27 July 2016

Very good and clear statements from Salvesen here. On the negative side there is a statement about "bonding" which reveals the usual misconceptions of "attachment theory" referring to something real and practically mechanical:
"Another separation would hinder the parent’s ability to further bond with their children so vital at this age."

Otherwise, however, he goes out strongly:

"When I was called to be a witness in court I faced an irritable judge, an icy expert and fiercely hostile municipal attorney. It was mainly a cross-examination where they seemed to take little interest in my report on the children’s wellbeing and were much more concerned about how the couple had fled and violated the law.
    They told me repeatedly I was obliged to inform the court where the twins could be found. That I should consider my career as a psychologist and if I did not divulge their whereabouts there would be severe consequences.
    I repeatedly told the court that the parents acted out of self-defence against government mistreatment and due to the facts in the case I supported their action."

"There is no doubt this case highlights the very worst that can happen with Barnevernet and the limited recourse parents have within the Norwegian court system. But this case has also received widespread media coverage raising greater awareness within Norwegian society.
    It has shown how the system is broken and the many flaws that stem from the psychopathic culture lies within it. My question is, how can we can overhaul this system and create a dialogue so we can act in the best interests of both the child and the family?"

One statement made by psychologist Salvesen in the program should have been questioned: "According to research, 80% of the system is working well."

Einar Salvesen has repeated this in other contexts too. It seems like an attempt to be friendly to our authorities by accepting a recent piece of "research" they have had carried out, which is, however, quite questionable:
familien-er-samlet:
Official report about CWS services to families: Eight out of ten are satisfied?

Dateline makes one typical mistake, repeated by the media over and over in child protection cases, the one of thinking that the only way to get the "facts" as presented from Barnevernet's side is to get them to comment:
"Barnevernet won’t comment on individual cases, so Dateline can only present the parents’ side of each specific story. Barnevernet says it only acts when it believes children are at serious and immediate risk."
This is not at all so. Everything that Barnevernet is able to claim, has to be present in the case documents which they submit to the County Committee and the courts. And the parents and their lawyer are entitled to full copies of all of this. So it is just for Dateline to ask the family for permission to get copies of the documents.

Post subject: Re: Australian tv program about Norwegian Barnevern 26.7.16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:57 am 
Superposter

Jan Simonsen has linked to the program:

Stjålne barn (Stolen children)
Frie Ytringer, Jan Simonsens blogg, 29 July 2016